Monday, April 26, 2010

Am I the only person worried about Incarna?


So I think I may be the only one afraid about Incarna, specifically the new features of having a full body avatar and walking in stations. Ok, well maybe not the only one, but judging by the anticipation on the forums, we're probably a minority.  Here's why.

One of the things I love most about EVE is there is a dark, raw anonymity to it. In EVE, you're known by your ship, your actions, and, if you choose, by your chat comments.  There's a certain mysteriousness and brutal elegance to it and, for me anyway, matches what life in space would probably be like... cold, ominous, dangerous.  I think that watching my character and others walking around a station would take away from that and erode the "cool" factor. (yes I did just use the 'c' word but you know what I mean).  I worry that the full body avatars would make things too cartoonish.  Heck, I don't even like the headshots we have as avatars now.  I think they look kind of silly, almost as if they belong to a different game.  If you've played Star Trek Online, you'll know what I'm talking about.  The ground combat and in-station look and feel are awful and look amateurish. 

I know it's still really early and we don't have a lot of information or screenshots to go by so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for two reasons...

One, I know that CCP won't release anything they're not proud of or that takes away from the overall EVE experience, and...
Two, I'm sure that walking in stations will have a meaningful, and probably optional, role to the play in the game.

But... I'm still worried.  Your thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment